HCC Competition Rules & Regulations
Preamble: We hold several competitions each year for digital photos, color prints and B&W prints. Our intention is to increase each member’s enjoyment of, and improvement at, photography through comparison, study and evaluation. This process also enables us to select digital photos and prints to submit to the NECCC and/or PSA competitions.
1. Any member of the club may submit up to four digital or print entries in each category. A member need not be present to have photos considered in the competition. All negatives and digital photos must be the work of the entrant only, however, they may be printed commercially.
2.Digital Pictoral Category includes pictures of any subject matter. The use of Photoshop or other editing software is allowed.
3. DigitalNature Category is (according to the Photographic Society of America) restricted to the use of the photographic process to depict observations from all branches of natural history, except anthropology and archeology, in such a fashion that a well informed person will be able to identify the subject material and to certify as to its honest presentation. The story-telling value of a photograph must be weighed more than the pictorial quality. Human elements shall not be present, except on the rare occasion where those human elements enhance the nature story. The presence of scientific bands on wild animals is acceptable. Photographs of artificially produced hybrid plants or animals, mounted specimens, or obviously set arrangements, are ineligible, as is any form of manipulation that alters the truth of the photographic statement.
4. Print Categories (B&W/Color), unless otherwise noted, may be of
5. Prints and Mounts. Any size print or mount up to 16” x 20” is acceptable. Prints must be mounted. Cardboard frames and matting are not required but may enhance the presentation. Prints must have a title. The title, together with the maker’s name, address and camera club must appear on the back of the mount. It would be prudent to include this same information on the back of the print as well with the use of a label (never write directly onto the back of any photo) just in case the print should separate from the mounting board.
6. Judging. The clubs regular competitions are judged by a rotating panel of three judges selected from a pool of appointed club members. This pool of judges will be added to annually from the top scoring members in the previous year’s regular competitions. Any member serving as a judge in a particular competition shall be awarded, for each of his or her own spouse’s slides or prints, a score which is the average of the scores given by the other two judges in this instance, rounded up to the higher whole number. On occasion, qualified judges from outside the club may be asked to participate.
7. All entries are previewed briefly prior to the judging. Then, as each entry is displayed for scoring, each of the three judges awards a score of up to 10 points. A slide or print may receive a score up to 30 points. After all entries are judged, and some discussed, winning entries are shown again and the scores and makers’ names are announced. The winners may be asked to comment on technical and other useful information.
8. NECCC and Limitations.Only one digital entry per person in each category (pictoral, nature) or one print in each category (color, b&w) may be submitted to the NECCC in any particular competition. If one person submits two entries in any one category that happen to receive the highest scores in our club’s judging, only one of those entries may be submitted to the NECCC competition. The other entry/entries will be withdrawn without points, but may be entered in any other club competition.
Click here to see a more detailed instruction
Click here to see a more detailed instruction on PSA challenges
How to name your Pictures for the competitions
Club Name, Your Name FirstLast (no space), Image Title (first letter only of all words Capital with spaces between)
It should look like this: 3-Housatonic-YourNameHere-ImageTitle.jpeg
Your entries should be numbered 1,2,3,4…..
– (must be used in proper places with no spaces before or after)
NECCC -Pictorial- PB1$Housatonic$YourName$ImageTitle.jpg
The P or N stand for Pictorial or Nature Category
B is for our Class
Entries in each category need to be numbered 1,2,3 or 4
$ (must be used in proper places without spaces before or after) Club Name
$ Your Last Name, First Name $ Image Title (first letter only of all words Capital with spaces between)
Slides or prints winning awards in any of the clubs regular competitions will be ineligible for reentry in the clubs regula
Click here to sign up !
“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.”